– Hospital established in 1908
– Then it was an Asylum, a hospital of the insane.
– A hospital of refugees of black origin only.
– Whites were temporarily assisted and letter sent to South Africa after being attributed to lunacy.
The Training School
Established in 1970
– First group started in 02.02.1970
– Initially it offered a post basic program in psychiatry nursing leading to a diploma.
– The program was of 18 months duration.
– Each group comprised an average of six students.
Ten years later
– In 1980 (01.09.80) another program for Medical Assistants was introduced.
– Duration of training was 12 months leading to a certificate.
– An average of 6 students were recruited per group.
– The first tutor to run the training program was Mr Kuratle who was hailing from Germany.
– Used to be assisted by Experienced Ward Sisters